By responsibly managing your company's waste, you can play a decisive role in preserving the environment. Producing less waste and recycling unavoidable waste are the keys to sustainable management.
Beyond the environmental impact, certain legal obligations regarding waste apply to Brussels companies.
- Compulsory sorting for the following items, applicable to all companies and persons that operate a business within the Brussels-Capital Region:
- Paper and cardboard
- ‘PMC’: plastic bottles, metal packaging and beverage cartons
- Waste glass
- Plant waste (parks and gardens)
- Animal waste
- Hazardous waste such as ink cartridges, paint, etc., should be disposed of in a safe manner.
- Waste subject to an obligation to return it: waste electrical and electronic equipment, waste edible oil and grease, end-of-life vehicles, used oil (non-food), used tyres, used batteries, expired medicines, non-domestic packaging waste and solar panels
- Soon compulsory: organic waste
- Provide proof that your waste is properly managed, applicable to all companies and persons that operate a business within the Brussels-Capital Region:
- By means of a contract, invoice or certificate issued by an approved collector, or a registered processing centre or tip.
- This proof must be kept for 5 years
- The use of single-use plastic bags prohibited in retailers’ sales areas, applicable to any trader selling products to take away
- Environmental permit for the storage of waste, applicable in certain cases if the storage capacity exceeds the classification thresholds (type of waste & storage capacity)
- Obligation to take back used batteries and very small used electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) free of charge in shops (<25 cm in diameter), applicable to any retailer with a sales area of at least 400m2 for EEE
- Comply with special waste collection conditions, applicable as part of complementary collection facilities (e.g. taking back used mattresses for sellers of new mattresses, household waste recycling centre that collects waste from businesses located on the industrial estate, etc.)
If you fail to comply with these obligations, you risk an administrative fine of between 50 and 62,500 euro.
Do you want to go beyond your legal waste obligations? Be inspired by the Ecodynamic Organisation Label ’s (FR) best practices in eco-management and sign up for the Brussels Green Network (FR) . If you want to get rid of equipment (furniture, electronic etc.) that could be reused, think about giving it to the social economy so that it can be reused. You will find the different associations offering a collection service on the Ressources Federation website (FR).
Are you a professional waste management operator (transport, collection, processing, etc.)? Specific legal obligations (Brudaweb FR) apply to your profession, consult the Brussels Environment website (FR) for full information on approvals and application registrations.
Consult the formalities and means set up by Brussels Environment concerning the management of waste and resources in your company:
- All information on the obligation to sort and proof of good waste management can be found in the FAQ Sorting and management of non-household waste (FR/NL) & on the website Recycle Bxl Pro (ENG)
- Information on animal waste (FR/NL), waste subject to a take-back obligation (FR/NL) and hazardous waste (FR/NL)
- List of authorised waste collectors (FR/NL) and list of registered waste processing facilities (FR/NL)
- Information on the ban on single-use plastic bags (FR/NL)
- Information on environmental permits for waste storage (FR/NL)
- Information on taking back WEEE (FR/NL) and used batteries (FR/NL)
- Information on complementary collection facilities (FR/NL)
- The good practices of the Ecodynamic Organisation Label (FR/NL)
- The Brussels Green Network (FR/NL)
- Donation of reusable material to the social economy (FR/NL)
- Brudaweb (FR/NL) for professional waste operators
Links, forms en documents
Information Department of Brussels Environment
You are in need of some information or advice on any topics related to Energy and Environment in Brussels? You'd like to receive one of our brochures? Our information department is here to help you out and answer your questions.
Do you have questions, complaints, suggestions, reports about this page ?