Do you want to open guest rooms, a Bed & Breakfast, a hotel or transform your house into one? Then it should be planned carefully. Before welcoming your first visitors to Brussels, you will have to complete a number of administrative formalities.
Before starting your activity, you will have to declare and register your accommodation with Brussels Economy and Employment (Bruxelles Économie et Emploi). But first, you must go to the commune where the accommodation is located, in order to obtain the right paperwork, i.e. certificates relating to urban planning and fire & safety. It is also important to comply with the Directive on Tourist Accommodation (Ordonnance relative à l’hébergement touristique) of the Brussels Region, as conditions vary according to the type of accommodation - hotel, flat, guestroom, campsite, guest house, etc. or with the Horeca Regulation (règlement relatif à l’Horeca) if you plan to open a restaurant or a bar. Please note: if you offer a room via Airbnb or Booking.com, you are also concerned!
Fees may apply, so please check with the competent service of the commune.
Documents you will need to provide
Several documents must be presented in order to obtain the necessary authorisations, depending on the commune:
- articles of incorporation
- ID card (or other ID document) of the directors, owners
- certificate of conformity of the electrical installation with a recent seal of approval
- fire safety certificate, on the basis of a favourable report from the SIAMU (Service d'Incendie et d'Aide Médicale Urgente)
- simplified control certificate (attestation de contrôle simplifié)
- urban planning certificate
- photos and floorplans of the premises
- criminal record in the case of alcohol sale
Most of the municipal procedures can be found in IRISbox.
Links, forms en documents
There are 19 municipalities in the Brussels-Capital Region. You will find the contact details of these municipalities on this page: https://catalog.be.brussels/en/citizen/citizenship-documents/citizenship/public-services/19-municipalities
Do you have questions, complaints, suggestions, reports about this page ?