The opening of a private telecom business is subject to prior authorisation from the commune where you want to start your activity. The authorisation is also subject to urban planning. The creation of a new businesses of this type is subject to distance rules, in effect making sure that stores offering the same services are not too close to one another.
As business owner, in order to obtain an authorisation to open a private telecom store, you must first submit a written request to the dedicated service of the commune, by using the correct form. You must also apply for a planning permission. A tax based on the surface occupied and a fee for opening the business may also be required depending on the location. Some communes also require a police report related to the protection of public order.
Documents you will need to provide
Several documents must be presented in order to obtain the necessary authorisations, depending on the commune:
- copy of the business owner’s ID card
- articles of incorporation
- certificate that the business is listed in the local business registrar
- description of the type of telecom services offered and the number of phone devices or computers necessary for the exercise of the activity
- net surface area of the store
- certificate of compliance with the General Regulation on Electronic Installations, issued by an approved body
- copy of a currently valid civil liability, fire and explosion insurance (assurance en responsabilité civile, incendie & explosion)
- copy of the licence issued by the Belgian Institute for Postal Services and Telecommunications (BIPT) for private telecom businesses.
- copy of any application for authorisation or granted authorisation from AFSCA (Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain)
- extract of criminal record for the sale of alcohol.
Most of the municipal procedures can be found in IRISbox.
Links, forms en documents
There are 19 municipalities in the Brussels-Capital Region. You will find the contact details of these municipalities on this page: https://catalog.be.brussels/en/citizen/citizenship-documents/citizenship/public-services/19-municipalities
Do you have questions, complaints, suggestions, reports about this page ?