The right of permanent residence is an important issue for non-EU nationals who have been living in Belgium for some time. This right allows them to live and work legally in Belgium on a permanent basis, without having to renew their residence permit every year.
The procedure :
The procedure for applying for a permanent residence permit in the Brussels-Capital Region depends on your situation. Here are the general steps to follow:
- Check whether you meet the conditions for obtaining a permanent residence card as a third-country national (non-EU member). These conditions include possession of a residence permit that has been valid for at least five years, sufficient means of subsistence and suitable accommodation.
- Fill in the application form for a permanent residence permit, which is available on the Brussels-Capital Region website or from the municipal offices. Make sure you provide all the necessary information and documents, including proof of your legal residence status in Belgium for the last five years.
- Go to the municipal counter in your commune of residence to submit your application and provide your fingerprints. You will also have to pay the costs of processing your application.
- Wait for the decision of the competent authority, which can take up to six months. If your application is approved, you will be invited to collect your permanent residence card from the municipal counter.
For the Brussels-Capital Region in general, the cost of applying for a permanent residence card is generally 20 euros for the application processing fee and 20 euros for the residence card itself. However, the exact costs may vary from one commune to another.
It is important to note that procedures and requirements may vary depending on your personal situation. It is therefore advisable to contact the municipal office of your commune of residence or the Aliens Department of the Brussels-Capital Region for precise information on the procedure for applying for a permanent residence permit.
What documents should I enclose?
The documents required to apply for a permanent residence permit vary depending on the commune. In general, you should bring :
- Your valid passport and a copy thereof
- Proof of legal residence in Belgium for the last five years, such as previous residence permits
- Two recent identity photographs.
For more information on this subject, please consult the website Right of permanent residence for Union citizens and their family members | IBZ - FPS Home Affairs
Links, forms en documents
Documents and links
There are 19 municipalities in the Brussels-Capital Region. You will find the contact details of these municipalities on this page:
Do you have questions, complaints, suggestions, reports about this page ?